Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Best & Worst Anti-Sun Damage Products

Summer is coming to an end and with that so are our tans (sigh).  While I love being tan and how I feel with a bit of color on me I know it wreaks havoc on my skin.  Therefore, I try to use as many anti-sun damage products as possible to stave off any negative effects from all that amazing summer sun.  So, I thought I would share with you my favorites and my biggest disappointments from products that claim to reverse sun damage.  Here they are!

BEST: 

1.)    Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti Sun-Damage Daily Moisture Lotion -   While this should come as no surprise to anyone who reads this blog, Garnier’s Moisturizer is my absolute favorite anti-sun damage product!  This moisturizer is so light weight it doesn’t give your skin that greasy, oily feel/look that a lot of other moisturizers do, but it still gives enough hydration that your skin never looks dry.  I use this product year round, religiously every morning before applying my makeup.  I’ve found that while using it any spots or freckles I had from the sun have definitely lightened in color and become way less noticeable.  I also feel like my skin is super soft and never dries out.  Even in the winter this is my go-to moisturizer.  I also love it because you can find it for only $12 a bottle so it doesn’t break the bank.  Even with daily use it lasts me a few months.  Love, love, love!

2.)    Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Cream- I am a huge fan of Kiehl’s products.  They are definitely more expensive but always worth it.  I purchased this moisturizer as my nighttime moisturizer awhile back and absolutely love it!  It’s super hydrating so you wake up with incredibly smooth, hydrated skin.  Also, over time it really helps to reduce any sun spots, fine lines, wrinkles etc. that you get from sun damage and age in general.  I love this moisturizer and have definitely noticed a difference in my skin since using it!  It’s $62 for the smaller jar so I only use it at night but I could definitely see myself using this in the winter as my day moisturizer as well when my skin is particularly dry.  It’s just a great product all around!
           Buy it Here
3.)    IT Cosmetics Feel The Moment Anti-Aging Ultra Hydrating Sensory Awakening Primer Serum-  I feel like IT Cosmetics has really come on the scene this year.  There are so many amazing products they offer and every time I try a new one I absolutely fall in love!  This product is amazing because it’s so unique in what it offers.  This product you apply after your moisturizer to both help reverse any signs of aging as well as to prime the skin for your makeup application.  I’ve found when I use it my makeup stays on longer and my skin feels amazing throughout the whole day.  It also definitely reduces the appearance of any imperfections in your skin so that you have a more even toned canvas to work with.  The best part is it smells amazing, “spa-like” as IT Cosmetics describes it.  Definitely a fun and useful product to add to your routine. 
          Buy it Here
4.)    Lancome Advanced Genifique Serum- While I was tempted to write about the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum because I am absolutely obsessed with this, I review it extensively here, so I wanted to review a new product.  Lancome’s Advanced Genifique Serum is their response (I don’t know which came first actually) to Estee Lauder’s serum.  This product is phenomenal as well.  You apply a few drops at night and it works to repair your skin, reducing any lines, unevenness, redness, pores etc.  It’s a fantastic serum as well and after a month of using this you definitely notice a difference in your skin.  I would recommend getting a serum and shelling out a little extra for a good one 100%.  They last you forever and they’re so concentrated they definitely help more than a regular moisturizer will.  Also, the drugstore serums I’ve tried have never been as good as the higher end ones, whereas you can definitely find some good drugstore moisturizers.  I definitely recommend adding this to your routine if you’re worried about anything with your skin or just aging in general.  Well worth the investment.
        Buy it Here



WORST: 

1.)    Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Serum- This product, while not horrible, is also not great.  It’s expensive, it’s greasy and it doesn’t do much for your skin.  It’s marketed as being “smart serum” which determines what exactly your skin needs and targets that so I thought it’d be a worth a try.  Sadly, I didn’t feel it targeted much.  After a month of using I wasn’t impressed and didn’t notice much of a difference.  There was definitely still the same spots and fine lines I’d noticed going into it.  I also didn’t notice any “brightening” of my skin and received way fewer compliments than when using any of the above products.  At $60 a bottle it’s definitely worth saving your money and investing it into something more worthwhile. 
2.)    Philosophy Miracle Worker™ Miraculous Anti-Aging Moisturizer- I love Philosophy’s line of bath products so I thought I’d try their skincare out.  Definitely not their forte.  I was at once turned off by how watery the product was.  It went on my skin like a bad lotion, slippery with way too much water and not enough product.  I did not find it “satiny” like it’s advertised.  Also, after using this product for a while I didn’t notice any huge or “miraculous” change in my skin.  I always felt like I wanted to add another moisturizer on top of this to make sure my skin got enough hydration.  At $60 a jar I’ll pass. 
3.)    Oil of Olay Total Effects Fragrance-Free Daily Moisturizer- Growing up my mom used Oil of Olay products daily so I thought I’d try them out and see how I like them.  I was not impressed.  I guess we have different skin types because when I tried this moisturizer out it was greasy and made my skin get oily almost immediately.  I also found that it had zero impact on my skin, it didn’t reduce any fine lines, didn’t get rid of any unevenness or spots and really made no difference.   If I applied this at night I’d wake up with any oily face and have to wash it immediately before applying anything.  It was also $20 a bottle which wasn’t cheap for a drugstore product and definitely not worth the price for the quality you were getting.  I would not recommend purchasing this!


It’s so hard to find skin products that you love and you can often go through a whole variety of them before you find a product that you like.  I definitely recommend sticking with it if you love it.  These are just a few of the creams I’ve tried that I thought I would review here.  I definitely have my staples that I stick with but occasionally I do like to mix it up to see what else is out there.  For now I think I’ll stick to my Garnier to help my skin repair from any summer sun damage. 

xo

Kelly


What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment